Thursday, March 5, 2009

Bronchiolitis

Sorry I have been away for a few days. My baby is sick, and he needed me. Monday morning, Bubba woke up with a cough. We were kind of expecting it since it had been about a week since he got over his last cold, and the doctor's told us that this was expected. He would get another cold. Which for him I guess involves coughing.
So he had a cough and a slight fever Monday. Gave him some Motrin, he seemed to be doing better. His voice was so hoarse! And I guess he thought it was cool, because he kept babbling to us, and then he would giggle.
Tuesday, his cough was worse, he was wheezing and he was more mopey, and just generally didn't feel good. Still had a fever, even after Motrin. We were getting kind of worried about him. I was sitting here holding him while he slept and just watched him. He was having a hard time breathing as parts of his stomach and chest were dipping in a little bit as he breathed. We finally decided to take him into the doctor's office that night. Luckily there is a pediatrics place open 24/7. So we went in about 9:00 at night. Waited to be seen by a doctor. We were worried, because his cough had never been this bad before. I mean, he would cough and cough and barely breathe in between, his face would just go red and he would lay down on whatever was closest to him.
So we get back into a room where a nurse takes his temperature (99.2 I believe) and weighs him (still 25 pounds). She put a thing onto his foot to get his oxygen levels in his body. It was 84%. So he wasn't getting the oxygen that he needed. The nurse showed us how to count his breaths. So we did that and it averaged at about 45 breaths a minute. Doctor wants to see it below 55. So we were OK there.
Doctor came in and listened to his breathing through the stethoscope and told us that he has Bronchiolitis. Now...what is this caused by? Some virus. The main virus is RSV. Dr told us we could spend more money to get another test done to say for sure if it was RSV, but that treatment was the same. I HATE this illness. My little brother Curtis had it when he was a baby and was hospitalized with it. I heard the diagnosis and I did my best not to cry.
They did a breathing treatment on him there in the office. Bubba HATED it! He screamed the whole time, until he couldn't scream anymore. That took 15 minutes, then we tested his oxygen again. It was 94%. So luckily it helped that. His wheezing wasn't bad anymore, and he seemed happier. So they sent us home with a prescription for Albuterol to take every 4-6 hours as needed for breathing. Went home after 3 hours, and just rested. Bubba was NOT sleeping very well. He would sleep for 10-15 minutes and then wake up coughing, or just wake up. Yesterday he was very mopey and still just trying to sleep. I think he took 6 short naps throughout the day. After only sleeping a couple of hours the night before.
Last night was probably the best sleep he has gotten. As I write this, he has been asleep for the last 2.5 hours, only waking up once or twice but going right back to sleep.
Bad thing is whenever the motrin wears off, if we aren't right on top of it (like when he's sleeping) his fever will spike up. This morning it was 103, yesterday morning it was 102. Here is what he looks like right now..

He has been sleeping in bed with us, so we can feel his breathing and we can help him whenever he needs it.
I feel AWFUL. Last night was the most sleep I have gotten since Sunday night, and it was just under 5 hours. I am still so scared for him. I count his breaths whenever I can to make sure they aren't going too high and that his meds are helping. His cough just tears my heart to pieces, and he has now learned "ow" he will cough and then look at me and go "oww" breaks my heart. Everyone says to count my blessings, and I am VERY thankful that he is NOT in the hospital yet. We still aren't free and clear on it, but he hasn't had to go in yet. He still struggles to breathe and you can tell when he is having a hard time, but I feel like all I can do is hold him. He has these sad little red eyes because he isn't getting enough sleep, and a sad little moan.
Anyway...this is long enough. So if you have wondered where I have been...that's where. Usually right in bed with that little guy trying to make him feel better, and not fall apart at the same time..

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Those pictures are soooo sad! Poor little guy and poor, worried mom! I hope he gets better soon! Hang in there - you are in my thoughts & prayers!

Crystal said...

OHHH. That sounds bad. Hope he gets better soon. :(( And all get some sleep sooner then later. Keep me updated plz? I worry and think bout u all alot.