Saturday, February 11, 2012

a scare

i'm going to let you into how my life has been this last couple of weeks. 

i went to the doctor's office on january 30th
i had a sinus infection, and a few days before i got a strong impression to have some moles removed. 

if you know me, you know what i'm talking about. 
i am COVERED in moles. 
they say the average amount people have are 10-40 moles on their body. 

i have over 40 on ONE arm. 

yeah. 
i knew that i was at higher risk for skin cancer.

also, at least 4 of these moles had started changing, and had all the markers for it. 
so needless to say, i was worried. 

went in, had the doctor look them over. 
yeah..let's remove them and have them tested. 

so we scheduled an appointment for that thursday, feb 2nd. 
went in, and had 4 moles removed. 
two were plugged, and needed 3 stitches each, and two were too big to be plugged, and needed to be scraped out. 
luckily, with the lidocaine, i didn't really feel it until later. 
then it was a matter of waiting for the results. 
and trying to figure out how to shower without getting the stitches wet. 
(2 were on my chest, one of which had stitches, and the other one that had stitches, was in the center of my back between my shoulder blades)
sponge baths are NOT that exciting. 
and hot showers are my comfort. 
so not having those...made me anxious.

the.longest.eight.days.ever. 

i can't express the things that went through my mind. 
i was actually ok with it. 
i know, that sounds completely odd. 
but i felt completely at peace with the possibility that i had cancer. 
i was also anxious. anxious for the unknown. 
i was worried, what would happen next?
how was this going to affect our adoption plans?
would we have to put them on hold? 

i had a lot of people praying for me.
a.LOT.
and it was a HUGE testimony builder for me. 

i was finally able to go back to the doctor yesterday. friday the 10th. 

and i'm going to state, that i have an AMAZING doctor. he took care of me when i was a teenager, and i am so glad that my insurance covers him so that i can continue to go to him. 
anyway

he sat down, and asked if i was nervous. 
i, of course, said yes. 
and then he told me "well, your pathology results came back normal"
that is what stuck with me. 
normal. 
not cancer. 
then he said something about how they had something in them that would lead to cancer. 
so it's good we got them out now. 

complete.relief. 

i am lucky to say that i don't have cancer. 

i do have to go in once a year and have full skin checks to keep an eye on other moles. 

but as of right now, i don't have it. 

but, no more tanning beds for this girl. 
i will be wearing sun screen anytime i spend time outside. 
white is the new tan people. 
trust me on this. 
i will be sporting it now.
who wants to join me?

and i would also like to tell my mother THANK YOU. 
she drove me to each of my appointments, helped me with bubba, and held my hand through the hard parts. 
you saved me, and i can't thank you enough. 
i love you.

3 comments:

mandy_moo said...

oh my goodness Tara, I had no idea!! I am so glad all is well. whew!!

Shella's Ramblings said...

Glad it came back normal! Cancer is definitely a trial and surprisingly for me it's been a testimony builder. Have a great Sunday!

Cascio Photography said...

Sorry you had to go through such a scary thing! I am soooo glad everything is ok! You are an amazing person and I really admire your courage and spirit. I am glad you listened and got them checked out!! and hey, white is the way to go!! haha